Sunday, July 11, 2010

HaterME: The Newfangled Golden Rule

I am a cliche lover of sorts. I try to live my life by certain creeds or mottos if you will. I post some on my desk at work others I spout off in any given moment. Mainly I use them as kind of affirmations.
"Consistency is Key"
"Anything is possible"
"Stop wishing...BE"
"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you CAN do."
But my #1 is and always has been The Golden Rule. You know "Do unto others as you would have done unto you." Basically try to treat people the way you want to be treated. Apparently not everyone subscribes to this philosophy. Either that or they subscribe to The NewFangled Golden Rule circa 2010, "SELF!" or it's cousin, "Do You!"
This conflict of rules has been the cause of alot of WoeIsME's issues as of late. Because I believe the first and many around ME subscribe to the later. Your natural instinct when you feel mistreated is to say "Fine, if you want to be like that then I will too!" HaterME says "OK I'll just Do ME". But this doesn't work, after the anger wears off I'm just left conflicted because I'll always default to TGR.
"You can't allow others to make you come out of your character"
"Don't stoop down to the level of others. Bring them up to your level."
"You cannot control someone else's actions. You can only control your reactions."
I struggle with those 3. I have to consistently remind myself of them. But I must find the balance between them all. I won't stop treating others the way I want to be treated just because they continuously just look out for self. I won't allow them to make me step out of my self. Am I always right? More than likely not. Will I continue to be overly sensitive and get hurt? Yeppers. Like they say, Do you. This is ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment