Wednesday, October 6, 2010

HungryME: Comfort Foods

Karen Smith: " I can't go out (fakes cough) cough cough, I'm sick"
Regina George: "Boo you Whore"
---Mean Girls

Hey YOUs,
 I'm back. And I'm sick. But for reals, not like Karen Although my head is really cloggy so I feel about as airheaded as her right about now. So anyways I'm sitting here in bed watching one of my fav movies, the aforementioned Mean Girls. It got me started thinking about a post I've been  meaning to write for a while now. Comfort Food!
 You know how it goes, you get sick and all you wanna do is lay in bed in your fav pjs and watch your fav movies. And sometimes eat your fav comfort foods. Now for me those pjs are my red flannel footed pjs along with my red & gray fingerless mitts and Eeyore hoodie. Don't forget the fuzzy slippers.
 At first I thought it would be easy to pick my fav sick day meals. But then I realized that I actually have a couple of go-to stand-bys. Let's discuss the top 4 shall we...

1.Tea and peanut butter toast...

For as long as I can remember my mom's default response to any complaint of illness or injury was "Take some Advil and drink some tea"  Headache? Upset Stomach? Broken rib? "Take some Advil and drink some tea." Ok well maybe not to the broken rib. But only because I've never actually broken a rib. And if you are gonna have tea and Advil, you need to eat a little something with it. Enter the peanut butter toast. Now it's just what you do.

2. Cream of Wheat...

a.k.a creamaree. The best breakfast of all time. That stick to your ribs warm you up from the inside out goody goodness. Add a little butter, milk, & sugar yum. Don't forget a couple of tiny lumps for that homemade taste.

3. Pot pies....

Oh not just any pot pies. No it has to be Swanson pot pies. Period. The End. And you know what sucks? They only carry them at certain markets around here every now and again. I don't want Banquet or any of those other kinds. Swanson's have the best crust on the top & BOTTOM. 5 mins in the microwave and mmmm. Just be careful that you don't burn your tongue by being too greedy and not letting the steam cool off.I'm just saying...

4. Grilled Cheese & tomato soup...

If you know me IRL (in real life) then you know I have a couple of dogmas that I'm kinda adamant about. One is that if I'm gonna watch a scary movies it has to be on Sunday mornings. (GOD's a little less busy that day so he can watch over me a little more) And another is that if I'm gonna eat grilled cheese & tomato soup  it has to be on Wednesdays. This stems from my days as a waitress in college. We had the same specials every week. Mon Hot Turkey Sandwiches. Tues Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches. Wed Grilled Cheese tomato soup. Thurs Meatloaf. Fri Fish Sandwich. I got to eat for free. So I usually just ate the special. Now it's just what I do, it doesn't taste right on any other day.

So there you have it, HungryME's top 4 comfort foods. There are a few more but we'll just save those for a later date and time. Oh wait I just thought of a really good one. Here's a bonus:

FRENCH FRIES!!!! ...


I F'LUV french fries. Morning noon or night. And you know when they are really good? After a good night of drinking and dancing with friends.  So tell me guys, what are some of your fav comfort foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment